The Puppet 3 Cookbook
Build reliable, scalable, secure, and high-performance systems to fully utilize the power of cloud computing.
Get ready for Puppet 3
The Puppet 3 Cookbook is fully updated to cover Puppet 3 and with masses of new material, tips, recipes, ideas, and fully-working example code to help you kick-start your Puppet infrastructure. If you enjoyed the Puppet 3 Beginners Guide, or if you’re an experienced Puppet user already, the Puppet 3 Cookbook is the book to take your Puppet knowledge to the next level.
Shows you how to use Puppet 3 to take control of your servers and desktops, with detailed step-by-step instructions
Written in a simple, practical style by a professional systems administrator and Puppet expert, every recipe has detailed step-by-step instructions showing you the exact commands and configuration settings you need.
Packed with tips and inspiring ideas for using Puppet to automate server builds, deployments, and workflows.
Covers all the popular tools and frameworks used with Puppet: Hiera, RSpec, puppet-lint, and more
Teaches you how to extend Puppet with custom functions, types, and providers.
What they said
Reviews of the first edition, which has sold over 3,000 copies to date:
What’s in it
The book takes the reader from a basic knowledge of Puppet to a complete and expert understanding of Puppet’s latest and most advanced features, community best practices, writing great manifests, scaling and performance, and how to extend Puppet by adding your own providers and resources. It starts with help on how to set up and expand your Puppet infrastructure, progresses through detailed information on the language and features, external tools, reporting, monitoring, and troubleshooting, and concludes with many specific recipes for managing popular applications.
The book includes real examples from production systems and techniques that are in use in some of the world’s largest Puppet installations, including a distributed Puppet architecture based on the Git version control system. It covers common problems and errors and shows you how to troubleshoot your Puppet manifests. You’ll be introduced to powerful tools that work with Puppet such as Hiera. You’ll learn how to use objection-orientation and classes to write powerful, reusable manifests, and how to embed Ruby code in templates. You’ll find out how to extend Puppet with custom resource types and providers. The book also explains managing Ruby applications and MySQL databases, building web servers, load balancers, high-availability systems with Heartbeat, and many other state-of-the-art techniques.
More and more systems administration and IT jobs require some knowledge of configuration management, and specifically Puppet. The Puppet 3 Cookbook not only gives you everything you need to become a Puppet expert, but includes powerful code samples and techniques developed over many years of production experience. With it, you’ll save time and effort by automating tedious manual processes, impress your boss by delivering better business value from IT, and future-proof your career by getting to grips with the new technologies revolutionizing the industry.
What you’ll learn
- Installing and setting up Puppet for the first time
- Producing eye-catching reports and information for management
- Understanding common error messages and troubleshooting common problems
- Managing large networks
- Taking control of configuration data with Hiera and encrypting secrets with GnuPG
- Producing reliable, clean, maintainable code to community standards with puppet-lint and rspec-puppet
- Using classes and inheritance to write powerful Puppet code
- Deploying configuration files and templates for lightning-fast installations
- Using virtual machines to build test and staging environments, and production systems on cloud platforms such as EC2
- Automating every aspect of your systems including provisioning, deployment and change management
- Making Puppet reliable, performant, and scalable
Who the book is for
The book is for anyone who builds and administers servers, especially in a web operations context. It requires some experience of Linux systems administration, including familiarity with the command line, file system, and text editing. No programming experience is required.
Buy the Puppet 3 Cookbook
- Buy Puppet 3 Cookbook (Kindle edition) now on Amazon.co.uk
- Buy Puppet 3 Cookbook (paperback) now on Amazon.com
- Buy Puppet 3 Cookbook (Kindle) now on Amazon.com