John Arundel, principal consultant, has been writing software for 35 years, managing Unix systems for two decades, and hacking on infrastructure from nuclear power stations to Netflix since he was knee-high to a login prompt. He has been using Puppet in commercial web operations since 2006 and has deployed Puppet solutions for dozens of companies from Singapore to Seattle, and at fairly large scales (over a thousand servers in a single site). He is also the author of The Puppet Cookbook, The Puppet Beginner’s Guide and other technical books, and regularly provides coaching and training on Puppet from beginner to enterprise level.
John also regularly regales his 80,000+ Twitter followers with deep thoughts about computing, configuration management, and software development at @bitfield. Even though no-one can agree what ‘devops’ means, it seems to be a partial description of what he does.
He works closely with selected clients worldwide, helping to develop and support:
- Scalable, reliable, performant infrastructure
- Systems automation with Puppet
- Devops tools, practices and culture
- Continuous integration, testing, and deployment
- Monitoring, reporting, and analysis
- Load balancing, load testing, and performance tuning
- Big data (especially in the field of social networks)
- Highly available databases and replication
- Virtualization, cloud infrastructure, and containerization