The Puppet 2.7 Cookbook
Why this book?
A revolution is coming to IT operations. Configuration management tools can build servers in seconds, and automate your entire network. Tools like Puppet are essential to taking full advantage of the power of cloud computing, and building reliable, scalable, secure, high-performance systems.
The Puppet 2.7 Cookbook takes you beyond the basics to explore the full power of Puppet, showing you in detail how to tackle a variety of real-world problems and applications. At every step it shows you exactly what commands you need to type, and includes full code samples for every recipe.
What they said
What’s in it?
- Shows you how to use 100 powerful advanced features of Puppet, with detailed step-by-step instructions
- Includes the latest features and updates in Puppet 2.7
- Packed with tips and inspiring ideas for using Puppet to automate server builds, deployments, and workflows.
- Covers all the popular tools and frameworks used with Puppet: Dashboard, Foreman, MCollective, and more
- Written in a simple, practical style by a professional systems administrator and Puppet expert, every recipe has detailed step-by-step instructions showing you the exact commands and configuration settings you need.
The book takes the reader from a basic knowledge of Puppet to a complete and expert understanding of Puppet’s latest and most advanced features, community best practices, writing great manifests, scaling and performance, and how to extend Puppet by adding your own providers and resources. It starts with help on how to set up and expand your Puppet infrastructure, progresses through detailed information on the language and features, external tools, reporting, monitoring, and troubleshooting, and concludes with many specific recipes for managing popular applications.
What you’ll learn
- Making Puppet reliable, performant, and scalable
- Producing eye-catching reports and information for management
- Understanding common error messages and troubleshooting common problems
- Managing large networks with tools like Foreman and MCollective
- Using classes and inheritance to write powerful Puppet code
- Deploying configuration files and templates for lightning-fast installations
- Using virtual machines to build test and staging environments, and production systems on cloud platforms such as EC2
- Automating every aspect of your systems including provisioning, deployment and change management
Real-world examples from production
The book includes real examples from production systems and techniques that are in use in some of the world’s largest Puppet installations, including a distributed Puppet architecture and a high-performance Puppetmaster solution using Apache and Passenger. It shows you how to manage Puppet with a web interface and produce attractive, informative graphical reports and charts. It covers common problems and errors and shows you how to troubleshoot your Puppet manifests. You’ll be introduced to powerful tools that work with Puppet such as MCollective and Foreman. You’ll learn how to use object-orientation and classes to write powerful, reusable manifests, and how to embed Ruby code in templates. You’ll find out how to extend Puppet with custom resource types and providers. The book also explains managing Rails applications and databases, CMS systems such as Drupal, building web servers, load balancers, high-availability systems with Heartbeat, and many other state-of-the-art techniques.
- Managing virtual machines with Vagrant
- Building a Nagios monitoring server
- Scaling Puppet using Passenger
- Using cucumber-nagios to write behaviour-driven tests for your infrastructure
- Using Augeas to edit config files
- Managing users with virtual resources
- Managing Rails applications
- Managing firewalls with iptables
- Building high-availability servers with Heartbeat
- Using HAProxy for load-balancing
- Using tools such as MCollective, Dashboard, and Foreman
What you’ll need
The book assumes that the reader already has a working Puppet installation and perhaps has written some basic manifests or adapted some published modules. It also requires some experience of Linux systems administration, including familiarity with the command line, file system, and text editing. No programming experience is required.
Why you should buy it
More and more systems administration and IT jobs require some knowledge of configuration management, and specifically Puppet. The Puppet 2.7 Cookbook not only gives you everything you need to become a Puppet expert, but includes powerful code samples and techniques developed over many years of production experience. With it, you’ll save time and effort by automating tedious manual processes, impress your boss by delivering better business value from IT, and future-proof your career by getting to grips with the new technologies revolutionizing the industry.
- The Puppet 2.7 Cookbook: publisher site
- Buy the Puppet 2.7 Cookbook on Amazon.co.uk
- Buy the Puppet 2.7 Cookbook on Amazon.com